Disasters are simulated by sites built out of rubble from demolished buildings and construction debris. While this simulation is very time consuming and expensive, it is necessary in order to ensure that when the next disaster occurs the dog is able to confidently work in the often chaotic environment. There are only a few disaster training sites in the United States, and most of them have restricted access and availability as to when K-9 teams can utilize them to train.
Linthicum USAR K-9 Training Facility (Linthicum) was established in 2004 to meet the need of having a quality training site, which includes three rubble piles, an agility course, bark barrel field, and a directional course. The site is available to all local, regional, state, and federal search and rescue resources. Each year Linthicum is utilized over 200 days for training and evaluations. K-9 teams from as far away as Ireland have trained at the site.
A special thanks go to Chip Bullen with the Belle Grove Corporation for donating the use of several acres of land that Linthicum occupies. Chip has also provided countless hours of manpower and heavy equipment for building and maintaining the site.
The facility is located at 6931 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd, Linthicum, Maryland.
Request use of facility
To request the use of the Linthicum USAR K-9 Training Facility complete and submit the form below. A representative will contact you.
- >Open: Event will be open to other teams or organizations.
- >Closed: Event will be restricted to registered participants, teams, or organizations
- >Private: Event will be a private training event limited to the requesting organization
Rules and Regulations
- > Each individual, this includes K-9 handlers, subjects, and observers must sign a Hold Harmless Agreement. The Hold Harmless Agreement must be witnessed by the team/organization leader or their representative. The Agreement is to be filed in the trailer office.
- > What you carry in you must take out. This means take all debris and trash (including empty water bottles, your dog poop) with you when you leave at the end of the training.
- >Pick up and properly dispose of your dog poop. Poop bags are not to be dropped in the porta-potty and definitive not left next to the steps to the trailer.
- >All lids, barrels, and cushions need to be put back in the sea storage containers at the end of the training.
- >Ensure that all padlocks to the agility course, sea storage containers, and trailer are locked at the end of the training.
- >If you use the generator to heat or cool the trailer, it is your responsibility to buy replacement gas.